- Our Publications
- Sir Henry Williams Baker
- A History of Leominster
- Local Authors
- Etfrid Legend
- Edfride 1605
- About Us
Photographs of Leominster Old Grammar School
Copies of the CD available on request
These ninety-one photographs were taken on 3rd November 2009 by Tony Malpas with a Canon EOS 1000D digital camera using an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / II lens.
Comments by Chris Sansom.
The buildings photographed here were formally opened just over 100 years ago, in 1909, as The Leominster Secondary School. It kept this name until the 1947 Education Act created a tripartite system of secondary schooling when it became known as The Leominster Grammar School, still on its site at South Street. A new Secondary Modern School was created at Green Lane, but no technical school was built.
In 1972 the Grammar and Secondary Modern schools merged into a comprehensive known as The Minster School, which was run by Hereford and Worcester County Council.
It functioned to start with on three sites, but, after several years, the re-named Minster College occupied just the South Street site, stretching eastwards to Castlefields. It has now reverted, following local government re-organisation, to the control of Herefordshire County Council, which has commissioned a new Minster College, being built by Stepnall Ltd of Rugby, on a much expanded South Street site.
The builders asked the Leominster Historical Society to make a photographic record of the old Grammar School buildings before their demolition which was scheduled for August 2010. This record was carried out by Tony Malpas and Chris Sansom, both of the Leominster Historical Society, Chris being a founder member and also a History teacher at the Grammar School from 1965 to 1972
Copies of this record, mainly as CDs (although some sets of photographic prints have also been produced), will be lodged with the builders, and also with Herefordshire County Council Planning Office, Leominster Folk Museum, Leominster Library, Herefordshire Record Office and Leominster Historical Society.
Some examples of the photographs taken can be seen in the gallery.
© Photographs and text copyright Tony Malpas and Chris Sansom and Leominster Historical Society, March 2010. Graphics and cover design Arthur Davis.