- Our Publications
- Sir Henry Williams Baker
- A History of Leominster
- Local Authors
- Etfrid Legend
- Edfride 1605
- About Us
Blessed Roger Cadwallador
978 0 85244 867 0 156 pages £9.99
THE TOWN IN THE MARCHES
Norman C. Reeves
299 pages, illustrated. 1970. Orphans.
The early story of Leominster is engagingly told, and the more recent history, the background to our present town, is full and thorough.
Many people will be familiar with the red cloth cover, but a few copies have come to light from the original printing which have the green dust jacket showing the heraldic arms of the town.
The original research, tireless correspondence and persistent inquiry that went into this work make a very readable history.
A prose translation of 'Erat Merwaldus Rex'
transcribed, translated, illustrated Hugh Pawsey
20 pages: card cover: 2000 [now being reprinted]
Originally in rhymed free-verse, the eight short chapters describe the mission c.660 of the Northumbrian priest Etfridus to convert the people of Leominster. It is an energetic story with a lion, two black dogs, the smashing of idols and insignia and finally the building of a splendid church. Probably tenth century.
by Joe and Caroline Hillaby
ISBN 1 904396 56 9
Friends of Leominster Priory and Logaston Press. 2006
292 pages; some 150 b/w and 35 colour illustrations
"An exemplary achievement" (The Local Historian, May 2008)
(see the full review)
Joe Hillaby’s 100-page Presidential address to the Woolhope Society, ‘Early Christian and Pre-Conquest Leominster’, in 1987 was followed in 1995 by ‘Leominster and Hereford: The Origins of the Diocese’ in Medieval Art, Architecture and Archaeology at Hereford, British Archaeological Association Conference Transactions 15, and in 2000 by his chapter on the ‘Columban and Roman’ church in The Early Church in Herefordshire.
This book brings together the history of minster, priory and borough. Available from the Priory's book stall at only £10 because of a Heritage Lottery Fund grant, all proceeds go to the Friends of Leominster Priory.
by Ann Malpas
Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club. Vol. 57 2009.
It is widely believed that John Scarlett Davis, the 19th-century artist from Leominster, was born at no. 2 High Street and it is sometimes further stated that his grandfather was the first of four generations of the family to live and work at this address.
An examination of the history of no. 2 and neighbouring properties shows that this cannot be the case and that John Scarlett's brother, Francis Davis purchased the property in 1832 and was the first of the family to live there.
Further evidence shows that between 1806 and 1846 the family home was at nos. 9 & 11 High Street. Possible reasons as to why the story that the artist was born at no. 2 gained credence and the question of where the artist was born are discussed.
Enquiries concerning this off-print should be placed with Woolhope Transactions. www.woolhopeclub.org.uk/TransactionIndex.asp
Hereford Library, Leominster Library, Lem'ster Historical Society Library each hold copies.
AND THE RESTORATION OF LEOMINSTER PRIORY CHURCH
by Eric Turton
Friends of Leominster Priory / Logaston 2006
ISBN 978 1 904396 60 4
p.xii "So the story of the restoration of the ancient building is as much one of personalities as it is of actual repairs, for the whole exercise depended as much on the Vicar and on the Johnny Arkwright as it did on Sir George Gilbert Scot. But most of all on the inhabitants of Leominster, and friends of the ancient borough... "
p.62 (At his retirement the)" Rev. Edouart told his listeners that he had written some 20,000 letters in his attempts to raise funds for the restoration. He would start each day by writing six letters, but only one in ten received an answer."
"Architectural Salvage: a Misuse of Conservation Resources", Building Conservation, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp11-15, 1980.
"Examples of Inner Growth in Great Britain", Tanghe, Vlaemink and Berghoef (eds) Living Cities, Pergamon Press, (with A. Wood) 1984.
"The Cambridgeshire Guide to Historic Buildings Law" Cambridgeshire County Council, 1995.
"The Cambridgeshire Handbook of Church Fabric" Cambridgeshire County Council and the Cambridgeshire Historic Churches Trust, 1994.
“The Dovecotes and Pigeon Houses
Logaston Press, 2010.
"Cambridgeshire Churches in the 18th Century" Hicks (ed.) Cambridgeshire Churches, Paul Watkins, Stamford, 1997.
“William Dowsing in Cambridgeshire” Cooper (ed.) The Journal of William Dowsing” Boydell and Brewer for the Ecclesiological Society, 2001.
“Chris Godfrey’s Cambridgeshire Drawings”, CCOF, Ely, 2001.
“Cambridgeshire Bell Frames”, Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, 2001.
“Huntingdonshire Bell Frames”, Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, 2006.
“Edward Longmore, the Herefordshire Giant” Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, Vol. 59, 2011.Forthcoming:
“Herefordshire Mile Markers and their Makers”.
The Local Historian - Volume 46 Number 1 - January 2016 #5. Cursneh Hill: using antiquarian texts to explore local legends by Elizabeth Round
In this article, which was the winner of the British Association for Local History ‘Medieval and early modern essay’ prize for 2015, Elizabeth Round explores a story which appears—in one version or another—in most of the printed local histories of Leominster, Herefordshire. It concerns a battle which is said to have taken place at Cursneh Hill, outside the town, during the extremely brief reign of Lady Jane Grey.
Transmission of Ideas and their Visual Images 1st - 12th C.
Mary Curtis Webb
[foreword and afterword by Gillian Greenwood].
Ghent University have published this as a pdf file.
Mary Webb's book is presented here among the local authors because sculpture from the Reading Abbey workshop is central, and the Eardisley Harrowing provides an apt comparison (plate 48). The Ideas referred to in the title come from Greek and Roman and Early Christian Sources: these were interpreted in the educational books of Pope Gregory, Isidore of Seville, Boethius, and Lambert's Liber Floridus, which were joyfully exploited by the artists and sculptors of the twelfth century who re-discovered them. Anyone interested in the sources and interpretation and context of our local Herefordshire school will appreciate this illuminating study of Norman sculpture from Pitsford, Dinton, and Hampton Norreys. (Copy: Hereford City Library 734.22)
(ISBN 975-0-9537534-1-3) published 2001 by Green Grass Enterprises, 5 Thomas Court, Green Lane, Leominster HR6 8QJ priced £7.99. Distributed by the Welsh Book Service, it is available from book shops or direct from the publishers. For further information contact or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. or http://www.jenthepengreen.co.uk/
by Susan Wood,
Emeritus Fellow of St Hugh's College, Oxford.
Eardisley History Group, 2012. 20 pages. (illustrations in colour)
An illuminating explanation of the imagery, with special reference to the rescue of Adam from Death and Satan (the Harrowing of Hell).
Enquire at the bookshop. The New Strand Eardisley